KP for captain

As a long term admirer of Paul Collingwood's, we immediately thought he was the best man to take over the one-day captaincy from Michael Vaughan. Having actually thought about it a bit, we've changed our mind.

It's because of the way that Kevin Pietersen plays the game. We don't mean aggressively or flamboyantly, although those could be positives. We mean how he's a proactive batsman rather than a reactive one.

Rather than adapt his game to the field set by the opposing captain, Kevin Pietersen sets out to change that field through his actions. He plays some odd shots, but they're usually played for a reason. You'll notice that if the field permits, KP plays orthodox strokes.

This all shows that he thinks about the game and that he wants to influence proceedings. That's a captain's role.

He's very clear-headed, he'll be 30 at the time of the next World Cup and what many people overlook is that he's massively, massively professional.

Our only real reservations are how this will work with Michael Vaughan and how the players might react to him. The second point could be a plus though. Despite his self-conscious 'team' behaviour, Pietersen's always been slightly adrift. You can't be 'one of the lads' and captain, so maybe this will solve that particular conundrum.

If Paul Collingwood gets the job, it's no bad thing either. England are fortunate.

Labels: ,

Thursday, June 21, 2007


King Cricket latest


Contact us


Subscribe to King Cricket

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you know what pisses me of?

wankers who reckon to like cricket but go fucking fishing with their "other" mates

approve that cooment kc

11:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see what you mean -- KP would be a good captain in the field.

However, I'm not so sure about off the field. He strikes me as a natural loner, focussed and all that. You're right about "one of the lads" (e.g. Freddy) not making a good captain...but KP just goes too far the other way.

11:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a radio...

12:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

real fishermen don't take radios.

it scares the fish

2:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't quibble with that.

We just go for the picnic.

3:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Real Fishermen don't eat picnics

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Fish-Chris-Yates/dp/014102402X/ref=pd_bowtega_1/026-3583667-5389248?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182454465&sr=1-1

chapter 3

8:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a real fisherman seems to involve steering clear of all the best bits of fishing.

8:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't start KC.

I've had enough of you frat boys with your hip hop blasting, yer coolers full of ice cold bud, yer scantily clad lady friends shaking their 'thang' on my river shores.

I remember a time when men went fishing and the women stayed at home knitting a pullover for the cold winter months. We didn't treat the river bank like Club jeffing Tropicana. The sooner every inch of river bank is licensed and patrolled to weed out your sort the better.

12:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, what i understand to be real fishing (and by fishing I mean only sea fishing, as this is all I do) is going to the rockiest, most sea weed infested stretch of shore, and throwing away tens of pounds worth of tackle and bait, whilst eating a pork pie and drinking some tea from a flask.

1:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well done Scientician. Someone bringing some sense to this site. I will allow you your luxury of a pork pie because you sound like a man whose hands forever smell of fish guts. Nothing beats it. It drives the ladies wild. In Hull.

of course the anonymous quote was me. I was so cross I forgot my name.

4:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and I was so cross I mixed up river 'banks' with sea 'shores'

that is how cross I was.

5:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked up your fishing guide - great - but the title is not as catchy (!) as one on my bookcase called 'Bottom Feeders'.

11:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you dare drag innuendo into the world of fishing eastfieldcricket.

When I fish and the river is damp and flowing and I unleash my huge rod. (I start of with small casts, and get bigger and bigger, and longer and longer, it feels like I can't go any further or deeper, but then I do!) and the thousands and thousands of small fishes pour through the channels, I feel a giant satisfaction that is above your innuendo driven smut.

1:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home