AB de Villiers finds his feet

Both in terms of his World Cup performances and literally too after a few bouts of debilitating cramp during his colossal innings of 146 off 130 balls against the West Indies yesterday. We say 'debilitating', but it only seemed to spur him on. Maybe 'invigorating cramp' would be a better phrase.

AB de Villiers is a talented batsman. He first appeared when England toured South Africa a couple of years ago. He acquitted himself reasonably despite some whimsical alterations to the batting order during that series. He opened; he batted in the middle order; he batted at seven; and if we're not mistaken, he actually kept wicket as well.

These days he's an opener and at 23, he'll be around for a good long while, by the looks of it.

We're using that picture on the right because he looks like a dork and we like pictures where people look like dorks - whoever they are. It also vaguely hints at how he's an all-round sportsman who was good at tennis and various other sports which are nowhere near as good as cricket.

He also seems to be a throwback to that era when South African cricketers always erred towards the ginger.

Labels: ,

Wednesday, April 11, 2007


King Cricket latest


Contact us


Subscribe to King Cricket

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can feel spring in the air, the breeze in my hair, and the sun on my skin. I am awakening from my deep winter slumber. Brushing away the cobwebs, kicking of these leaves that have fallen and submerged me.

hark, hark, what is that is noise calling? calling gently,

listen, listen, hold your breath and really listen

"ayoooooooo..."

there it is again!

"ayoooooo..."

and louder this time!

"ayoooooo..."

it is, its my dear old friend King Cricket!, welcoming me back, calling me home. He's shouting "kick of your shoes, pull up a chair by the fire and drink. Drink the drink of cricket with me.
Dance the dance of life, for we ARE alive, and we are here, and the ball still hits the bat and it is our right, NO! NO! it is our DUTY(!) to gather here and be alive together. And sing,and weep, and cheer! and drink and dance and become what we know we can become at those rare moments of our lives when we are facing the right direction with the wind blowing our sail and the future bright and golden on the horizon.

It will be alright.

8:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, "erred towards the ginger" sounds a bit gingerist to me. I do hope you aren't being gingerist.

10:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian, we miss winter already.

Ollie, maybe 'err' was the wrong choice of word. But "to err is human" - see, we think gingers are humans too.

8:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about orang-utans?

They're ginger but not human. Is human a partial subset of ginger, or are we saying that all gingers are human? If so, isn't that a bit orang-utanist? Terry Pratchett would not be impressed.

I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till you have given me a Venn diagram.

1:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Orangutans have got hands. That's good enough for us - they're human.

Oh no, wait, what about people with no hands. Are we saying they're not human now?

This topic is fraught with danger.

2:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats what I get?

"we miss the winter already Brian"

thats it?

my momentous arrival and thats what I come home to?

jeff you king cricket. If you can't be bothered, I can't be bothered.

I will take my resurrection elsewhere,

in disgust,

Brian

2:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know your game KC

you think you are making me livid by not responding.


I assure you I am not LIVID

11:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home